Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week 1 is in the books!

Both shows were sellouts with turn-away crowds and a LOT of people who hadn't seen us before!

Tommy, Andrew, Dick and I spent Saturday afternoon painting the Chihuahuas logos on the set at 35 Below. I am a truly horrible artist and this was the first painting I'd done that didn't involve my fingers. After Tommy touched it up, it was presentable, and I loved the way they looked for the show last night.

First time performing sketches since the Halloween show last year, and the new rehearsal schedule paid off well. I got most of my lines right on cue, didn't mess anything up on the sketches and those of you who were there got a rare opportunity to hear me sing.

First show was an interesting crowd, a real mix of people. Stand-up went over well, and I knew we were going to have a good time. Technical problems fouled up one of the videos we had planned on showing, which was a pity, but the final video piece of the night was a real winner. Our new Chihuahuas each took the stage for the first time, and did a great job. I really enjoyed working with Drew on our sketch about how improv is lazy, he got through what could have been a dicey situation.

Second show was an interesting one. I think that all our performances were better on the second show, but it was much more a smile audience (in a few cases a "walk out" audience, thanks for the vertical applause!) than a laugh audience. They went for the visual gags more. I think everyone that stayed for the whole show had a good time.

New show next week that I'm really excited about, and I'm going to go straight from our second show to the Best of No Shame at NC Stage (George "the" Bastard dominating the Asheville theater scene by having pieces performed at two venues at the same night!).

If you want to see us, you're really going to have to get tickets in advance! You can order tickets now for any show in the season through the Asheville Community Theatre website (click on "Buy Tickets Now" when you get there).

Make sure you catch some of the other acts in the series as well - I went to the OxyMorons show on Friday night and they just keep getting sharper and more funny. This slimmed-down version of the group is tight!

No comments: